About Me

My photo
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Mid 20s Stay at Home Mummy to Master A and Wife to DH, Michael. This blog will document my life as i try to become more sustainable, a fun mum and maybe even a domestic goddess- is there even such a thing?

Tuesday 3 July 2012

wk 26 & 27 SYL challenge

wk 26 is about simplifying what we have, make sure everything has a home and it lives where it makes sense to us, not our mother or neighbour but to the people living in the home. And to really take notice of our hot spot areas, glad to know I'm not the only one who uses that terminology, and to assign homes to the hot spot items.

When I have a hot spot growing, I like to clear it then put something pretty or functional there it makes it a whole lot less likely that I'll let piles pile up again.

Since moving back into our own home, I've been very mindful of where things go. For instance, in the kitchen the cups were in another cupboard a few steps away from the kettle and in a smaller cupboard, crazy right?! I de-cluttered my plastics and jars I've collected and swapped where they lived, that led onto the whole pantry and every other cupboard and drawer being inspected and changed, lucky I have a teeny tiny kitchen so it only took half a hour.

wk 27 is about starting to create routines. I'm in my element! At the start of the year I didn't have any routines and was always playing catch-up, it was so stressful. Now with the routines I have in place I feel a lot less calmer and I still can't believe it was so easy. Now the blog and Facebook page are helping me stay on track as well.

I post a lot of my routines and the like on my blog and Facebook page daily so feel free to have a look for more of a idea. But some of the routines that pop into my mind, are meal planning for a month and buying the groceries once a month, using the slow cooker. Just dump the food in and in 8 hours...hello, dinner!

I clean out my fridge once a week and check the pantry once a month.

I bought a planner at the end of June and a business card holder. I love both of them and don't know how I ever lived without them.

I have a weekly review of my week usually on a Sunday and plan for the week ahead and write up a little blog to keep my motivated.

Hubby says he is going to make a covered entry room so I can have a big launch pad for mornings, I can't wait! Will definitely blog about it when it happens.

4 comments:

  1. You've given lots of simple ideas in this post. I too use the slow cooker, and do a Sunday night review. I like your idea of the fridge clean out, and the pantry check. It takes 5 mins but helps with the shopping planning. Great post - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for your kind words kreategirl I just love the slow cooker I hope it will still be as good to use in summer as it is now

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of monthly meal planning - I do it weekly - but it's a hassle each week to decide what to cook - but to do it monthly has always daunted me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out my recipes I have my monthly list broken down into weeks to make it more manageable and I repeat a few, like the Sunday slow cooker roast chicken yum! And the added bonus of doing it monthly is I can buy bulk I'm wanting to buy 25 odd baskets for the cupboard to put each dinners items into, haven't gotten round to it yet

      Delete